The trick question is- why some people are left –handed? Well it is still not scientifically proven, but it is thought that the genes and environment play a major role. Although the “leftie genes “are not discovered, it is shown that people who are left-handed come from families with other left-handed members. The scientists have also found different brain wirings between right –handed and left-handed people. Left handed people are more independent as they try their whole life to adapt to this right handed world.
You should read the following 23 interesting facts about left-handed people.
- Are you aware that 5 to 10% of the world population is left handed?
- Left handed people are 3-times more likely to become alcohol addicts.
- Most of the left handed people use the right side of the brain.
- Left handed people usually reach puberty 5 months later than the right handed.
- Left handed people are good in numerous sports: boxing, baseball, swimming, tennis, etc. Did you know the fact that even 40% of the best tennis players all over the world are left handed?
- Four, out of the seven, recent presidents of USA were left handed.
- The statistics shows that left handed college graduates are by 26% richer later in life than their right handed colleagues.
- In the past, left handed people and left-handedness have been linked with numerous negative things, such as: a sign of neurosis, homosexuality, nasty habit, rebellion, mark of the devil, criminality and Left-handedness has also been also inked with creativity and musical talent.
- The word “left” in English is actually derived from the Anglo-Saxon root “lyft” – which means weak or broken.
- Women who are pregnant in their 40s are 128% more likely to have a left-handed baby, compared to women who have babies in their 20s.
- We already said that almost 90% of all humans are right-handed. But cats, rats and mice can also be divided in right and left pawedness.
- A recent research has found that left handed people are more talented in architecture, math and spatial awareness and the right handed people are good at communication.
One in four Apollo astronauts was left handed.
- The latest statistics shows that almost 30 million people in the United States are left handed.
- A recent study has shown that left handed people suffer from allergies and asthma more often than right-handed people.
- The medical experts have found that if a left-hander injures his left hand, he needs less time to learn how to use the other hand than the right –handed people.
- Also it is very interesting that the longest words which can be typed using only the left hand with conventional hand placement are dresses, sweater and tesserae decades.
- Left -handed people in the British Royal Family are the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William.
- Left handed people are also more prone to suffer from insomnia.
- Did you know that the left handed people have their special day? It’s 13th of August and it’s known as the International Left-Handers Day.
- Another interesting fact is that most wanted murderers on the planet: Osama Bin Laden, The Boston Strangles and Jack the Ripper were left handed.
- People who are left handed are able to see better underwater than the right handed people.
- The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease has published a study which has found that left handed people process emotions differently. So they can get angry much faster than the right handed people.